A treat to accompany dinner on Valentines Day, or any day, fresh salad greens are enhanced by the magic, long known to Italians, of berries marinated in the gentlest and sweetest of vinegars, balsamic. You can use fresh or frozen berries, and a combination of dark greens, like kale or spinach, along with romaine or butter lettuce is especially appealing.
Makes 4 Servings - 56¢ per serving Show Detailed Pricing
- 2 ounces raspberries, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 4 ounces mixed salad greens
- Set aside half the raspberries for garnish, and place the rest in a small dish with the balsamic vinegar. Mash the berries with a fork and let them marinate for 5 minutes (or longer, even overnight, for extra flavor). Wash the salad greens.
- Strain the vinegar into another dish to remove the seeds, pressing berry pulp through the strainer and into the vinegar with the back of a teaspoon. With a fork, blend the olive oil and a pinch or two of salt into the raspberry vinegar, until the dressing thickens.
- Just before serving, toss the dressing with the greens and place the remaining berries on top.