| Lunch & Light Dishes
Here's a quick and tasty pasta—with our Italian roots, we never get enough pasta! The foodie twist is a layer of smoky flavor from the gouda cheese, while the red pepper flakes give a bit of kick. If you can't find an inexpensive smoked gouda, you can substitute regular gouda or smoked mozzarella. We love to make this pasta with lots of veggies (bell pepper and spinach here), though you can utilize most any vegetables you have on hand—eggplant and zucchini are great too.
Makes 6 Servings
- $1.15 per serving
Show Detailed Pricing
*Optional ingredients are not counted towards pricing
bell pepper (red or green), chopped
cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
fresh baby spinach
large (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
red pepper flakes
smoked gouda cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
parmesan cheese, grated
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté until tender, about 4-5 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the spinach and sauté 1 minute, then add the can of tomatoes and their juice and heat another minute or until warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a big pinch of salt and the pasta, cooking until al dente—about 7 minutes. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Add the bell pepper with garlic and spinach, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, grated gouda, and dashes of salt and pepper to the pasta.
- Remove from heat and serve the pasta: decorate with (optional) fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Review our Penne with Smoked Gouda, Bell Pepper, and Spinach:
Thanks for your reviewing this recipe! We are looking over your comments and will post as many as possible.
Lisa A. on 1/21/2018
This is amazing and sooo good!!! You hit another one outta the park!