| Lunch & Light Dishes
These homemade treats are not only easy to make, they are delicious, much healthier and, of course, cheaper (at just 39¢ per muffin) than store-bought ones. We used fresh blackberries, but raspberries or blueberries work great, too, depending on what is in season (or you can use frozen berries). These are a big hit with all of us for breakfast, and have been for generations — the recipe was adapted from our great-grandmother's original.
Makes 12 Servings
- 39¢ per serving
Show Detailed Pricing
*Optional ingredients are not counted towards pricing
oil (a mildly flavored one like canola or safflower)
blackberries (fresh or frozen and well-drained)
- pinch of cinnamon or confectioner's sugar
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups or grease the tin thoroughly and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla. Add the zest of one lemon (by finely grating the thinnest, yellow part of the peel) for another layer of flavor.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and mix quickly and lightly with a fork, adding the berries last. Tip: Do not overmix or bother to remove lumps or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon batter into the muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the muffins are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon or confectioners sugar (optional) and enjoy hot from the oven or at room temperature.
Review our Blackberry-Lemon Muffins:
Thanks for your reviewing this recipe! We are looking over your comments and will post as many as possible.
Barbara F. on 1/25/2018
I made these lovely lemony muffins with my two year old grandson. The simple ingredient list and short preparation and baking times were perfect for the attention span of a toddler and the product pleased the whole family.
Hadassah Z. on 1/21/2018
My eleven -year-old made these muffins for us on a snowy day they were delightful and super easy and fun to make.
Michael G. on 1/20/2018
A wonderful easy muffin mix...a delight. (the lemon zest was a major plus)...I made this as a loaf...The cooking time I had to double, it was still moist and a nice crust on top.
This recipe is perfect for a quick treat and at the ready for a morning cup of coffee or an afternoon espresso...
Alison F. on 1/19/2018
These lasted about 1.5 days in my house. Just enough tart to balance the sweetness. A perfect accompaniment for a morning cup of joe.