| Lunch & Light Dishes
Inspired by Claude Monet’s favorite confection, this cake is subtle in taste, redolent of almond, and the kirsch adds a hint of cherry—no need to say more. Except that if you’ve eaten healthy and saved all week by cooking with us Five Dollar Foodies, here’s a treat.
Makes 10 Servings
- 85¢ per serving
Show Detailed Pricing
butter, softened (plus extra for the pan)
kirsch (or other liqueur)
almond flour (almond meal)
- Optional garnishes: 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted; 1/3 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted; crème fraiche, 8 oz
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 30-40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a pie plate or shallow 8-inch cake pan.
- Cream together in a medium-size mixing bowl the butter and sugar, beating until smoothly textured and fluffed.
- Crack eggs into a separate bowl (taking care that no shell falls into the eggs) and beat them slowly into the butter-sugar mixture. Add the almond flour gradually, then the kirsch* and mix thoroughly. Next add the all-purpose flour, mixing until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until light golden in color.
- Allow cake to cool before garnishing with the sifted confectioner’s sugar and sliced almonds. With a sharp knife, cut the cake into 10 servings and add a dab of crème fraiche (or whipped cream) alongside each one.
Note: Kirsch is flavored with cherry; other possibilities are triple sec (orange), brandy, or framboise (raspberry).
Thanks for your reviewing this recipe! We are looking over your comments and will post as many as possible.
Michael G. on 2/5/2018
This was a terrific Almond Cake! Very easy to make and very easy to eat. I left out the Kirsch...only because I didn’t have any - this time. Very quick to do using a stand mixer, this made the process simple. Baking time for my oven was 40 minutes and a lovely smell in the kitchen, which ends with a wonderful dessert...adding the slivered almonds and powdered sugar after the cake had cooled completed this perfectly! A go-to cake for any occasion...or just a sit down with a pot of tea in late afternoon.